Roasted Root-Vegetable Soup
A simple roasted vegetable soup gets an upgrade with frico and shaved black truffles.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer/Fall 1998
- 1 one-pound celery root, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium golden beets, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 large all-purpose Maine potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and cut into thirds
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped rosemary leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Frico (optional)
- 1/2 ounce black truffles, shaved (optional)
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place celery root, parsnips, carrots, beets, potatoes, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and olive oil in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
Transfer vegetable mixture to a baking pan. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes, turning several times during roasting.
Remove the vegetables from oven, and transfer to a large stockpot. Add the chicken stock, 3 cups water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
Set a sieve over a large bowl. Pass soup through sieve, reserving liquid. Wipe out the stockpot. Transfer half of the solids to the bowl of a food processor, and add 1 cup reserved liquid. Pulse until pureed. Pass soup through a fine sieve back into the stockpot. Repeat with the remaining solids and liquid. Add the cream, and gently heat soup until hot; season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with frico and shaved black truffles, if using.