Malted Dark-Chocolate Cakes
The malted flavor makes this a standout chocolate cake for a wedding buffet.
- Yield: Makes 2 cakes
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Winter 2004
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup malted-milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 10 ounces (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- White Icing, for drizzle
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 8-cup panettone molds with cooking spray. Dust with cocoa powder, tapping out excess. Set aside.
Sift flour, cocoa, malted milk, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl; set aside. Combine vanilla and buttermilk in a glass measuring cup; set aside.
Beat butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until creamy. Add granulated sugar; beat until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour and buttermilk mixtures in three alternating batches, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter between pans; tap firmly to settle batter.