Chimichurri-Marinated Flank Steak
This spicy steak appetizer packs big flavor into a little bite.
- Servings: 20
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2005
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Tomatillo Salsa
- Frizzled Leeks
- Pink peppercorns, for garnish
Process garlic, bay leaves, jalapenos, chile powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons vinegar in a blender until a paste forms. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add herbs. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and the oil until smooth.
Put steak in a baking dish, and coat both sides with marinade. Refrigerate steak, covered, overnight.
Heat a grill pan or grill to medium-high heat. Scrape marinade from steak. Grill steak, turning once, to desired doneness, 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Let steak rest 10 minutes. Cut against grain at an angle into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Place 2 to 3 slices on each plate. Top with salsa and leeks; garnish with peppercorns.