Here's an auspicious idea: Have a cake with trinkets hidden within brought to every table, along with a key explaining the prediction each bauble makes: Refer to ours (key below), or conjure up some yourself.
Fortune cookie: Sweet surprise
Bells: Wedding bells
Key: New home
Eiffel Tower: Bon voyage
Horseshoe: Luck awaits
Crystal drop: Marriage proposal
Globe: Adventure ahead
Fleur de lis: Prosperous future
Star: Well wishes
Pacifier: Baby on the way
Wedding Traditions and Superstitions
- Silk ribbon
- Jump rings
- Fabric glue
Note: You'll need one charm, one tassel, and two jump rings per person that is pulling. Each length of ribbon should be the radius of your cake plus four inches.
- Open a jump ring and thread the loop of the tassel onto it. Close the jump ring. Repeat for each tassel.
- Open a jump ring and add a charm. Close the jump ring. Repeat for each remaining charm.
- Slip one end of the ribbon through a jump ring with a charm on it. Fold the last 1/4" over the jump ring and use fabric glue to attach it to itself and secure the jump ring. Add a tassel to the other end of the ribbon in the same way.
- Repeat so that each ribbon has a charm on one end and tassel on the other end.
- Have your baker place the charms between a layer of the cake or under the cake before it's served.
5/8" Hand Dyed Silk Satin Ribbon in Bougainvillea ($3 per yard, mjtrim.com); 1.5" Fine Metallic Tassels ($6 for pack of 4, mjtrim.com); 8mm Jump Ring ($3.50/100-pack, firemountaingems.com); Aleene's No-Sew Fabric Glue ($3.49, michaels.com).