This pretty design is based on a classic French gateau called the charlotte. Our cake's tiers are encircled by strawberry-, lemon-, and lime-flavored candy straws that are filled with chocolate. Pink ribbons flexed with gold finish each tier with a dainty bow.
- Servings: 85
Photography: Sang Ann
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2003
- 1 each 5-, 7-, 9-, and 11-inch round tiers of yellow cake, each filled to a 3-inch height
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 2 jars (11 ounces each) Strawberry Fruit Straws
- 1 11-ounce jar Lime Fruit Straws
- 1 11-ounce jar Lemon Fruit Straws
- Foam board cut to match tiers 18 dowels (1/4-inch diameter), 3 1/8 inches long (4 for 7-inch tier, 6 for 9-inch, 8 for 11-inch)
- 12 feet of 1/2-inch-wide ribbon
Set tiers on foam board; spread with thin coat of buttercream to seal in crumbs; chill until set, about 30 minutes. Apply final coat of buttercream.
Insert dowels 2 1/2 inches from edge and 2 1/2 inches apart in all but top tier. Place bottom tier on cake board atop a nonslip mat. Add other tiers, using frosting to secure. Refrigerate until well chilled.
Cut 8-inch-long ribbon; fold ends into center; hot-glue. Cut 2-inch-long ribbon; wrap around center of bow, and hot-glue at back. Repeat to make four. Cut remaining ribbon to 17, 24, 30, and 37 inches; glue bow to center of each.
Let cake stand at room temperature 30 minutes, to allow buttercream to soften so the fruit straws will adhere better. Starting at back, press the fruit straws into the buttercream. Add ribbons.