Cookie favors are always a good idea for weddings and showers -- they're a sweet reminder of the day.
- Yield: Makes about 5 dozen
Photography: Krause, Johansen
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2005
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Sift together flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt into a large bowl.
Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Divide dough in half; wrap each half in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour (or up to 2 days).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with 3-inch cookie cutters. Space 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining scraps of dough. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
Bake until set, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.