Goat Cheese, Pear Tomato, and Basil Canapes
This colorful tomato and basil and cheese mixture is spread on slices of bread for a flavorful appetizer.
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2002
- 12 slices thin white bread
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 12 yellow pear tomatoes, halved
- Fresh small basil leaves, washed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Arrange bread on two baking sheets; place in oven to dry out and toast slightly, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
In a small bowl, combine goat cheese and cream cheese until smooth. Using a small offset spatula, spread cheese mixture on bread slices. Using a 1 3/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out two rounds from each slice. Top each with a tomato half, a few basil leaves, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Serve immediately.