Bittersweet Chocolate Fondue
Dip the night away at the fondue table. Set a pot of melted chocolate out amid plates filled with pieces of fruit and cake for a fun and festive dessert.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Winter 2000
- 1 pound plus 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 3 star fruits, sliced
- 12 gooseberries, husked
- 10 small Calimyrna or Mission figs, halved
- 24 one-inch cubes chocolate cake
- 24 one-inch cubes angel-food cake or vanilla pound cake
Set a heat-proof bowl, or the top of a double boiler, over a pan of gently simmering water. Place the chopped chocolate and the heavy cream in the bowl, and heat, whisking occasionally, until the chocolate is melted, about 7 minutes. Remove the bowl from the heat. Pour the corn syrup into the melted chocolate mixture, and stir to combine. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a fondue pot set over a low flame. Serve the fondue mixture with fruit pieces and cake cubes; provide guests with skewers for dipping.