Select pears that are slightly underripe for this recipe, which will garnish our Goat-Cheese Tartlets with Caramelized Shallots.
- Yield: Garnishes 12 tartlets
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer/Fall 1998
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise into 12 slices, each about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup Poire William or brandy
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pear slices; cook until slices become dark brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Add the Poire William. Carefully ignite the alcohol; allow flame to burn out.
Add vinegar and cider; cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat, and swirl in the remaining tablespoon butter until melted. Serve immediately with the goat-cheese tartlets.