Questions Every Couple Should Ask Their Caterer
When it comes to the catering, there are endless possibilities from what to serve to how to serve it. Figuring out what makes the most sense for your wedding both from an overall vision as well as budget can be overwhelming. To help you navigate the neverending possibilities of cuisine, Jess Levin from Carats & Cake asked a few industry experts to share some of the questions every couple should ask their caterer.
"What do your servers wear? Do you provide pressed shirts/ties for your wait staff or do they provide their own?"
- Lynn Easton, Owner Easton Events
"Always ask about collaboration. Will they help you optimize your menu to fit your needs, like recommending room-temperature dinner options if you want to serve a family-style meal for 200?"
- Emily Campbell, Founder & Lead Designer Bella Event Design & Planning
"Every couple should ask the caterer/chef what they would serve at their own wedding; as it will most likely be the most exciting and delicious wedding menu!"
- Nicole Potenec, Event Sales Manager Wythe Hotel
"Confirm that the catering team has ample staff as staff can really make or break any event!"
- Sarah Duke, Co-Founder, Duke + Van Deusen Events
"Ask about how the food can be a part of and enhance the overall experience."
- Carly Katz-Hackman, Event Director & Wedding Specialist, Great Performances
"How can you accommodate my guests' various dietary restrictions?"
- Lindsay Longacre, Owner, LVL Weddings & Events
"Think about how the food will reflect them and honor them. Ask your caterer, 'How will you customize our menu to celebrate our special day?'"
- Natasha Merritt, Director of Sales Paula LeDuc Fine Catering
"Ask what produce is unique to your venue or region and embrace the local ingredients. At The Greenbrier, I always suggest adding a sweet touch of The Greenbrier Peaches to our wedding cakes or desserts for an unexpected surprise!"
- Bryan Skelding, Chef The Greenbrier
"Ask your caterer to administer a tasting for you so you get a true sense of what the wedding food will look and taste like."
- Lisa Karvellas, Executive Chef & Owner, Cedar Lakes Estate
"Know what you're paying for-ask what exactly is included in the full bar."
- Carla Ruben, Owner & Creative Director, Creative Edge Parties
"Is this the most interesting way you can present this? Always look for ways to get more creative presentation for hors d'oeuvres, entrées, cocktails and food stations."
- Tracie Domino, Founder & Creative Director Tracie Domino Events