Hand-Stamped Fabric Clutch
You or your bridesmaids can tote wedding essentials in style with this foldover bag that’s simple to assemble. Here, Madeline Trait, the designer behind By Madeline Trait, shows you how.
- Two types of fabric: one that's lightweight for the interior lining, and one that's heavier, such as a thick canvas or denim, for the exterior of the clutch. For the pictured bag, I chose a print for the lining and solid black for the exterior, to make it easier to customize with the ink or paint.
- Stamps or block-printing supplies with the design of your choice
- Ink or paint in the color of your choice
- Isn't That Sew pattern and instructions
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Fabric-marking tools
- Scissors and/or a rotary cutter
- Iron and ironing board
- 9-inch zipper
Tip: Choose a bright zipper for a pop of color. You can even add a tassel for extra detail and easy pulling.
1. Cut two 12-inch-by-15-inch pieces from each fabric type so there are four total pieces.
2. Place your exterior fabric on a flat surface, dip your stamps into the ink or paint, and start customizing. You can either plan out your pattern or just go for it. I prefer to do the latter. You could even add a wedding monogram or initials.
3. When the paint or ink has dried completely, it's time to put it all together. As I am not a sewing expert, I followed Isn't That Sew's instructions, only without the leather strip at the bottom.
The result? A super-cute customized bag with a splashy interior to carry on the big day.Get More Ideas for Using Canvas in Your Wedding Décor