How to Make a Pom-Pom Center For Peony Paper Flowers
Photography: Addie Juell
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2014
Fringed shears (optional)
Green floral tape
9” (23 cm) length 18-gauge pretaped wire
1 ½” x 9” (4 x 23 cm) strip tissue paper (for small pom-pom); 3 x 20” strip tissue paper (for medium pom-pom); Three 3” x 20” (7.5 x 50 cm) strip tissue paper (for large pom-pom)
- Fold the tissue strip in half lengthwise, then fold it in half crosswise.
- Cut a ½” (2 cm) fringe along the unfolded edge.
- Unfold the crosswise folds so that the strip measures 20” (50 cm) long, but leave the lengthwise fold. On a smooth, low friction surface, gather up the unfringed (folded) edge into a bundle with your fingers.
- Wrap and press the tissue around the wire, and secure it to the wire with green floral tape. This is now the main flower stem.
- Fluff and trim the center with scissors as needed.