Lamb and Pistachio Meatballs
No matter how much you love the Swedish variety, you'll be rooting for the Greeks after a couple of these.
- Yield: Makes about 60
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Fall 2011
- 3/4 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Mix lamb, onion, garlic, pistachios, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg, coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until just combined. Using a teaspoon, shape into small balls; place on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
Simmer pomegranate juice over medium-low heat until reduced by half, about 25 minutes; stir in sugar.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add about 20 meatballs, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons pomegranate juice and heat, swirling pan to evenly coat meatballs. Transfer meatballs to plate; keep warm. Repeat with remaining meatballs. Serve immediately.