Spring-Vegetable Pot Pies
With a puff-pastry blossom resting atop a flaky crust, a miniature pot pie makes a delightful and delicious first course at a wedding. This favorite home-style dish is filled with a medley of vegetables, including asparagus, carrots, and pearl onions, and baked in a ramekin. Wonderful for a country-themed reception, it would be appropriate to serve at a shower, too.
- Yield: Makes 6 single-serving pies
Photography: James Baigrie
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2004
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from one 17 1/4-ounce package), thawed
- 6 asparagus spears, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 red pearl onions, peeled
- 3 thin carrots, sliced into 1/8-inch thick rounds (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 medium radishes, quartered
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms (about 5 ounces), stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pastry to a 14-by-12 1/2-inch rectangle (1/8 inch thick). Cut out 6 rounds with a 3 3/4-inch cutter; with a 1 1/2-inch blossom-shaped cutter, cut 6 flowers from scraps. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet; refrigerate.
Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil; blanch asparagus and scallions until bright green, about 1 minute. Immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to ice-water bath to stop the cooking. Drain; set aside.
Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet until hot but not smoking. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in carrots and radishes; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and butter. Add wine and stock; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in reserved asparagus and scallions; season with salt and pepper.
Spoon 1/2 cup vegetable mixture into each of six 5-ounce ramekins. Lightly beat egg and cream in a small bowl; brush egg wash around rims of ramekins.
Roll out puff-pastry rounds to 4 inches in diameter. Lightly press a pastry round over each ramekin. Brush tops with egg wash. Place a puff-pastry flower on each pot pie; lightly brush with egg wash.
Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.