Massachusetts Corn Muffins
A hint of honey enhances the flavor of the corn without overwhelming it.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1 dozen
Photography: Marcus Nillson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2010
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup sunflower or safflower oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons mild honey, such as acacia or orange blossom
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Combine oil, butter, and honey; stir in eggs and milk. Stir oil mixture into cornmeal mixture. Divide batter evenly among baking cups.
Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
This recipe could also make 24 mini muffins. Bake them for about 15 minutes.
Muffins can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days.