Raspberry Chicken Salad In Mini Pitas
Raspberries add tangy sweetness to these pita sandwiches.
- Yield: Makes 16 sandwiches
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 3 small shallots, 2 thinly sliced, the other minced
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
- 16 mini pitas (4 inches in diameter)
- 1 small bunch mache or frisee
In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, the peppercorns, sliced shallots, and chicken; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate; let cool completely, and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, sugar, minced shallot, and cardamom. Slowly whisk in the oil until mixture is emulsified.
In a medium bowl, combine chicken, fennel, and walnuts. Pour vinaigrette over; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in raspberries.
Slice off 1 inch from one side of each pita; gently open. Fill with a handful of mache; spoon in chicken mixture. Serve.