Green Gazpacho with Poached Shrimp
Serve shots of green gazpacho -- made of tomatillos, cucumbers, jalapeno, and cilantro -- with poached shrimp and wow your guests at your next affair.
- Yield: Makes 24 hors d'oervres
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Fall 2003
- 8 tomatillos, husked, cut in half
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled if waxy, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, stemmed
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 sprigs mint leaves
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- Simple Poached Shrimp
Combine tomatillos, cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro leaves, mint, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Transfer to a nonreactive bowl. Season with salt and black pepper; stir in lime juice. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or up to 1 day.
When ready to serve, remove gazpacho from refrigerator. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into small serving glasses. Remove tails from shrimp, and discard; cut each shrimp into thirds. Top each serving with a few pieces of shrimp, and garnish with cilantro sprigs.