Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Fall 2008
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds red beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add beets, stock, and enough water to cover (4 to 5 cups) to the onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer until beets are tender and can be pierced easily with the tip of a paring knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
Puree stock and vegetables in a blender until smooth. (You may need to work in batches.) Transfer pureed soup to a clean pot, and adjust consistency with water if necessary (you should be able to drink soup easily without using a spoon). Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Use a glass measure to pour soup into 2-ounce sake or espresso cups, and serve warm.