Meringue Bouquet Cupcakes
Perfect posies aren't just for flower girls. Crisp on the outside and soft in the middle, this vanilla cupcake has a bevy of yellow, ivory, and pink Swiss meringue blossoms perched atop a bed of buttercream. Customize their flavors or match the colors to your palette. Either way, this is one bouquet no one will want to toss.
Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2009
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream (http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/224235/swiss-meringue-buttercream)
- 1 large yolk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. In mixer bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs, yolk, the warm water, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla; mix until well combined.
- Divide batter among liners, filling 2/3 full. Bake until deep golden brown, about 22 minutes.
- Transfer tin to wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from tin; let cool completely on rack before frosting.
- To assemble: Working with a few cupcakes at a time, coat smoothly with about 2 tablespoons of buttercream. Immediately press roses into buttercream to cover the top (use about 20 roses per cupcake).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.