With their sugar-brushed flower petals and fragrant, rose-flavored glaze, these delicate cupcakes are pretty in pink. On the inside, jewels of candied ginger are hidden in a zesty ginger cake that's just sweet enough to make you, well, blush.
Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2009
For the Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, chopped
For the Rose Glaze
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons rose water
- Pink gel-paste food coloring
- <u>Sugared Rose Petals</u>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. Sift together flours, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- With a mixer, cream butter and granulated sugar until pale, about 4 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time until incorporated. Beat in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with milk, and beginning and ending with flour. Stir in candied ginger until distributed.
- Divide batter among liners, filling halfway. Bake until golden and set, about 20 minutes. Transfer tin to rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove from tin; let cool. Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.
- Make glaze a few hours before serving (if glazed cupcakes sit out too long, they will wrinkle). Whisk milk and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add rose water. Add a small drop of food coloring for pale pink, and stir. Immediately pour glaze on cupcakes (about 1 tablespoon each) just until flush with top of liner. Let set before decorating with sugared rose petals.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.