Shredded Chicken Mole on Cucumber Rounds
Served on cucumber rounds, this flavorful shredded-chicken mole hors d'oeuvre evokes a Mexican beach vacation.
- Yield: Makes about 10 1/2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2005
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, with skins
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 2 1/3 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 English cucumbers
- Chipotle Sour Cream
- Paprika, for garnish
Heat a grill or a grill pan over medium heat. Grill chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Remove from grill; let cool.
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add almonds; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely. Finely grind almonds in a food processor; set aside.
Heat oil in same saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in almonds, raisins, tomatoes, and spices; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes. Add stock; raise heat to high, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor, and puree.
Return pureed mixture to saucepan. Add chocolate; simmer gently over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate has melted and sauce is thick and smooth, about 8 minutes.
Shred chicken with a fork; stir into sauce. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Cut cucumbers into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. With a melon baller, scoop out just enough seeds from each round to make a nest (not all the way through). Mound 1 heaping teaspoon chicken mole into each nest. Top with chipotle sour cream, and sprinkle with paprika.