Serve with raw oysters and clams on the half shell.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Photography: Mikkel Vang
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 envelope (1 scant tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 shallots, finely chopped (about 6 tablespoons)
Heat vinegars and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Remove from heat; add gelatin, and stir until dissolved. Transfer to a nonreactive medium bowl. Stir in salt, pepper, lemon juice, and shallots. Cover, and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture has jelled, at least 6 hours (or overnight).