Mini Chocolate Cheesecakes
These tiny cheesecakes have chocolate crusts and rich cocoa in the filling for a double dose of chocolate.
- Yield: Makes 18
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings
- 2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (from about 40 cookies)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 24 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- Chocolate curls, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle. Set 18 2 3/4-inch flan rings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make parchment collars: Line each flan ring with 9-inch-long-by-2-inch-high parchment strip, over-lapping slightly; set aside.
Mix cookie crumbs, butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Divide mixture among flan rings (about 2 tablespoons per ring). Press down crumb mixture to create a flat base. Bake until set, about 13 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Let cool slightly; set aside.
Put cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat on medium speed until lightened, about 3 minutes. Add remaining cup sugar and the salt; mix 1 minute. Add sour cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, and melted chocolate; mix until well combined. Reduce speed to low. Add eggs and egg yolks, 1 at a time, until just combined. Divide filling among flan rings. Bake until still slightly wobbly in center, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
Carefully remove rings; peel off paper. Serve garnished with chocolate curls.