Salad of Bitter Greens and Shaved Fennel
If slicing fennel in advance, toss it with lemon juice to keep it fresh.
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb (about 10 ounces), trimmed
- 8 ounces mixed bitter salad greens, such as frisee, chicory, and dandelion, washed well
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves (about 1/2 ounce), washed well
Make the vinaigrette: Combine shallot and vinegars in a medium bowl, and let stand 10 minutes so the flavors meld. Season with salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, add oil in a steady stream until mixture is thick and emulsified.
Using a mandoline or very sharp knife, thinly slice fennel; place in a large serving bowl. Add mixed greens and mint. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper; divide among salad plates, and serve.