Anchovy, Caesar Salad, and Parmesan Crisps
In these Caesar-salad bites, Parmesan crisps hold marinated anchovies with chopped lettuce.
- Yield: Makes 24 hors d'oeuvres
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Parmesan cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 small head of iceberg lettuce, cut into chiffonade (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh shallots
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 fresh anchovies, halved
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line each cup of an egg carton with aluminum foil; set aside. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat; warm in oven 5 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven; place 12 heaping tablespoons Parmesan 1 1/4 inches apart on Silpat. Bake 6 to 7 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Remove baking sheet from oven; let stand 2 minutes.
Using an offset spatula, remove Parmesan crisps, and quickly place each in a prepared egg-carton cup to mold into a cupped shape. Let set until crisp, about 3 minutes. If crisps harden before they can be placed in the cups for molding, return to baking sheet and place in oven 2 minutes to soften. Repeat with remaining Parmesan. To store overnight, place in airtight container at room temperature.
In a medium bowl, combine lettuce, chives, and shallots. In a separate bowl, whisk oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Toss dressing with salad.
Fill each Parmesan crisp with a heaping tablespoon salad, and top with an anchovy half. Serve immediately.