Mini Lemon Pound Cakes
These little cakes are extra moist, and particularly scrumptious with the lemony icing drizzled over them.
- Yield: Makes 9
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2007
For the Cakes:
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus small zest curls for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus 3 tablespoons for brushing
- 3 large eggs
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, plus more for garnish
For the Icing:
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Make the cakes: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat nine 2 1/4-by-4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add flour and poppy seeds, and beat on low speed until just combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans, filling almost to the top (about 1/2 cup batter per pan).
Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Immediately brush tops of cakes with lemon juice. Let cool 30 minutes. Unmold and let cool on a wire rack.
Make the icing: Whisk confectioners' sugar, cream, and lemon juice until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl. Drizzle cakes with icing (about 2 tablespoons per cake), and garnish with poppy seeds and lemon zest curls.