Grilled Eggplant with Feta Cheese, Pine Nuts, and Basil
These vegetarian hors d'oeuvres fit right in with a lavender and goldenrod palette.
- Yield: Makes 40
Photography: Stephen Johnson
- 2 pounds Japanese eggplant (about 4)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted and cooled
- Basil sprig tops, preferably purple, for garnish
Preheat a grill over medium-high heat. Trim ends of eggplants and slice lengthwise into generous 1/4-inch-thick planks. Brush both sides with oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until soft and lightly charred in places, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Let cool to room temperature.
Cut each eggplant slice in half crosswise. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon feta and 1/2 teaspoon pine nuts. Gently press pine nuts into cheese to adhere. Roll up eggplant and secure with a wooden skewer. Garnish each with a basil sprig and serve.