The Lumi Print Fabric With Light Kit imparts the same faded effect to cloth. We sun-printed plain cotton and fashioned it into a romantic ring pillow. Sew and stuff the pillow, then edge it with matching cord.
3mm cord in pink, $2.50/yd, mjmtrim.com
Tools and Materials
Printable transparency film and paint (from the Lumi “Print Fabric With Light” kit)
White cotton fabric
- Download our “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” template and print onto a sheet of transparency film.
- Away from direct sunlight, cut fabric into two 7-inch squares. Tape one square to cardboard (or other lightweight sturdy surface); set aside the other square.
- Pour paint into a tray. Working quickly so that paint does not start to develop, use a foam roller to paint an even coat over the fabric square.
- Lay transparency film on top of fabric and tape into position. Place board in direct sunlight and let sit undisturbed for about 8 minutes on a sunny day or 15 minutes if it’s cloudy.
- Remove fabric from board and film and immediately wash out excess dye using warm, soapy water. Rinse and let dry.
- To assemble the pillow, position both squares of fabric, right sides facing in, and sew around edges leaving a 1/2-inch seam allowance and a 2-inch opening.
- Turn right-side out and fill with batting. Hand-sew opening closed. Sew a ribbon through center of pillow and all layers.