One Bowl Chocolate Cake
Use this cake recipe as the base for Jason Schreiber's Gooey Caramel and Chocolate Cake with Salted Peanuts.
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2013
- Unsalted butter, softened, for pans
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder, plus more for pans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter one 8-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep); dust with cocoa. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined. Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
Pour batter into pan. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out from pan. Transfer, faceup, to wire rack. Let cool completely.