The best weddings reflect the couplesâ€™ personalities from beginning to end. Wondering where to begin? Editorial Director Darcy Miller suggests seeking inspiration from these 20 questions. Sit down with your fiance and write down your responses. Then, let your answers guide you through the planning process, from deciding on a venue to choosing a unique wedding favor.
For help deciding on a venue, print out our wedding venue worksheet.
1. Where did you meet?
2. Where did you go as kids (summer camp, family trips, summer abroad)?
3. What did you do on your first date?
4. Where was your first vacation together?
5. What time of year do you love the most?
The Next Step: The answers to these five questions will give you venue ideas for your rehearsal dinner, ceremony, or reception, and your ideal time to wed. If your first date was at the bar of the Beverly Hills Hotel, for example, marry in its ballroom! Or work its signature stripes into your invitations.
6. What colors do you gravitate toward?
7. Are you obsessed with a certain flower?
8. What family heirloom would you cherish carrying on your day?
9. What song lyric or poem moves you the most?
10. Do you have a pet?
The Next Step: Now you have some ceremony detailsâ€”from a color palette to flowers to an aisle-ready song. If youâ€™re close to your grandfather, borrow his cuff links and wire them into your bouquet. Or, have Fido play ring bearer.
11. What bar do you frequent?
12. What's your favorite sport or team?
13. What's your go-to food?
14. What's your favorite restaurant?
15. Do you share a guilty pleasure?
The Next Step: Map out your reception beginning with his-and-her beverages from your favorite haunt. Maybe itâ€™s spiked hot chocolate for you and an Old-Fashioned for him, or perhaps youâ€™re marrying an Aussie football fan and need Fosters all around. Come dinner and late night, offer your favorite foods, like steak tartar to start and ending with customized gelato.
16. What are your hobbies, or do you collect anything?
17. How would you describe your dream date night?
18. What are your nicknames?
19. Do you have a desert-island book or favorite quote?
20. What's your number one film?
The Next Step: Let these last responses fill in your details. A personal cache of curios can top your tables, flamenco lessons can lead to your first dance, or your shared childhood love of Goodnight Moon can inform your favors.
Get inspired by DIY details these real couples created for their big day.See the Latest