Match these crunchy, flavorful breadsticks with our Striped Lasagna recipe.
- Yield: Makes 24
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, November 2016
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
For Beet Breadsticks
- 2 tablespoons beet juice (from 1 small beet) mixed with 1/2 cup cold water
For Carrot Breadsticks
- 1/4 cup carrot juice (from 2 medium carrots) mixed with 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
For Parsley Breadsticks
- 1/2 cup strained parsley juice (from 3 bunches) mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
For Tomato Breadsticks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste mixed with 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, salt, and baking powder to combine. Add shortening, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the machine running, gradually add beet, carrot, parsley, or tomato mixture (or 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup cold water for no added color) until dough comes together, about 1 minute.
Transfer dough to a very lightly floured work surface. Shape into a smooth rectangle, about 4 by 6 inches. Wrap in plastic and let dough rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Roll out dough to an 8-by-10-inch, 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
Using your hands, gently roll each strip back and forth to form 14-inch-long sticks. Arrange them on 2 baking sheets, side by side but not touching. (Press ends onto baking sheet to keep sticks straight while they bake.) Bake until firm and cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sticks to a wire rack to cool.