Dress up a serving table or add some sparkle to a photo booth with these easy-to-make paper-flower lights. To add drama, use a bright, bold shade of vellum on the big flowers and an understated, light shade on the daises. For a playful look, place uneven numbers of daisies between the larger flowers. Use only daisies near the ends of the strand to avoid weighing down the lights.
Tools and Supplies
- Our petal template
- Two shades of gold vellum (Paper and More metallic light-gold and yellow-gold vellum, $19 for 100 sheets)
- Gold card stock (Paper and More metallic gold card stock, $33 for 50 sheets; paperandmore.com).
- Large and medium daisy-shaped paper punches (EK Success Paper Shapers daisy punches, $7 and $11; createforless.com).
- 1/8-inch round hole punch (Fiskars Punch 1/8-inch Hand Circle, $6; createforless.com).
- Clear glue (Beacon's Magna-Tac 809, $5 for 4 oz; amazon.com)
- 20-foot rice lights (Jamali Floral & Garden Supplies, $13; jamaligarden.com)
- Download our PDF file, and open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader (if you are using a Mac, use Reader instead of Apple's Preview application). Most browsers already include this program, but if you have trouble downloading the file or would like to upgrade Acrobat Reader, you can obtain the latest version of the software for free from Adobe's website.
- Cut vellum and card stock into 7 1/2-inch squares. You'll need one of each for each large flower. Fold in half top to bottom. Fold again left to right. Lift upper layer of the top right corner and fold down to meet the lower left corner. Turn it over and fold on the other side to match, making a triangle.
- Lay template on triangle, aligning the dotted lines with the vellum or card stock's acute point with only folds (it will be the center of the flower). Cut along curved edges of template. At the center point, snip off only the tiniest bit to make a hole for the light. Unfold.
- Use the daisy punch to cut one vellum and one card-stock shape for each small flower. Use a round hole punch to make a hole in the center of each flower for the light.
- To attach each flower to a light, place a drop of glue around the hole of a card-stock flower and set a vellum flower on top, staggering points. Immediately slip flower onto a light bulb, adding more glue if necessary to adhere.