New This Month

Getting Your Marriage License: Where to Get One?

Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2005

Where to apply for a marriage license depends on both the state and county where you will marry. The document is typically issued at city hall, a county clerk's office, or a marriage-license bureau. Start your inquiries by calling the county clerk's office in the county where your ceremony will take place; if they aren't able to give you the information, they can at least point you in the right direction. It's best to be informed so everything is in order when you go to apply for the license; that way, you won't waste time or have to make another trip to the office. Ask if the application needs to be made in the town or county where you will marry, or if a license issued anywhere in the state is valid. You'll also want to find out whether both of you need to apply in person, or if just one of you will suffice. If you are planning to wed far from where you live, you may want to know if you can apply by mail, or if someone else can apply for you, and who that proxy can be, whether a relative, friend, or member of the clergy.

Return to Getting Your Marriage License


Be the first to comment!