Getting Your Marriage License: Signing Your Name

Should I Sign the Application with My Maiden or Married Name?
Since you will apply for the license before you marry, you will sign it with your maiden name, or, for the groom, current name. The application will include a place for you to indicate whether or not you'll take a new surname; if you do, your marriage certificate will state both your maiden and married surnames. After the wedding, when you notify the Social Security Administration, your banks, and the like of the name change, it's your marriage certificate that serves as proof. It's a good idea to request at least two certified copies of the marriage certificate for all your official name changes -- some places accept photocopies, while others must see a document with an original government seal.

Return to Getting Your Marriage License



Be the first to comment!