Sugar-coated almonds have been offered as wedding favors around the world for centuries. At Italian weddings long ago, guests often tried to remove ribbons from the bride's ensemble for luck. To deter them, families gave out quintets of dragees tied up in tulle as favors, signifying the five qualities of marriage: health, wealth, long life, happiness, and fertility.
These days, dragees aren't limited to simple candy-covered almonds. They also come with assorted fillings, such as chocolate, mint, and pistachio, and in assorted colors. In the links below, we have transformed their customary wrappings from the traditional rounds to packaging that is both elegant and whimsical.
Above, from left to right:
1. Sugar-coated French almonds are showcased in modern pastel colors.
2. Blue hues bring vibrancy to chocolate-filled candies.
3. A foil cover protects a chocolate center.
4. Tiny mints awaken the senses.
5. The pistachio inside is a surprising treat.
6. White candy-covered almonds are wedding classics.