1. Wear sustainable fabrics (organic cotton, silk, or twill).
2. Consider vintage/heirloom clothing.
3. Support fair trade by researching designers who practice equal pay, benefits, and a healthy work environment.
4. Select clothing for yourself and wedding party that can be reused.
5. Have a dress made with washable fabric so it can be washed in biodegradable soap.
6. Full-length gowns are expensive, use a lot of fabric, and require dry cleaning on a grand scale.
7. Dry cleaning releases volatile organic compounds in the air.
8. Instead of a wear-once veil, consider hair up or with flowers, or a hat you would use again.
9. Men: Consider renting a tux or suit so it can be used again, or wear clothing you would wear again.
10. For the couple who wants dressy wedding clothing: Purchase the fabric and have it made, make it yourself, or find a designer who uses organic or recycled-fiber fabric.
11. See if there are any shoes that are suitable in your closet first. If you buy them, make sure you can wear them again.