We printed clip art onto heat-transfer paper and ironed the designs onto fabric for this project.
Lace Floral Shoe Clips How-To
1. Print clip-art flowers on iron-on heat-transfer paper. Following the manufacturer's instructions, iron design onto silk organdy.
2. Cut out each clip-art flower with scissors. From one side, cut away a V shape that reaches to the center of the flower.
3. Trim about 6 millinery stamens so they are 1 inch in length. Slide stamens into center of flower. Fold stamens into an L shape, and glue cut ends to back of flower.
4. Pull corners of the V together, slightly overlapping; the fabric will form a cup shape. Use fabric glue to glue shut.
5. Print shoe petal template onto paper and cut out. Fold a square piece of organdy in half diagonally and then into thirds. Lay template on top of organdy. Lightly trace with a pencil. Repeat until you have 8 flowers for each corsage, and cut them out with scissors. Roll flower petal with your fingers to make edges curl.
6. For each shoe clip, stack 8 flowers, and sew together at center. Sew a paper clip to bottom of flower stack. Glue or stitch clip-art flower to top of flower stack using a dab of fabric glue.
7. Use paper clip to attach to shoe.
Swiss cotton organdy in ivory (45 inches wide), B&J Fabrics, 212-354-8150; pale-gold and taupe 9-millimeter silk double-face satin ribbon (No. 02309), M&J Trimming; white millinery stamens (FL422, 288 heads per bunch), Tinsel Trading.