We printed clip art onto heat-transfer paper and ironed the designs onto fabric for this sewing project.
Lace Clutch Clip Art How-To
1. Print clutch design on iron-on heat-transfer paper:
2.Iron the design onto ivory cotton canvas, following the manufacturer's instructions. (Be sure to position the transfer so the long edge is parallel to the grain of the fabric.)
3. With scissors, cut out design, leaving a 1/4-inch border at left, right, and scalloped sides. At the bottom, leave a 1/2-inch border.
4. Cut left and right sides with scalloping shears, leaving 1/8 inch as border.
5. Flip canvas over and fold bottom up 3 1/2 inches. Top-stitch both sides closed.
6. Stitch a 20-inch length of ribbon to the center of the bottom portion of the clutch, 2 inches from the bottom.
7. With a screw punch, punch a hole at the top center, 1 1/2 inches down from the point of the center scallop. If you do not have a screw punch, make a 1/2-inch vertical slit with scissors.
8. Fold top half down 3 1/2 inches. Pull ribbon through hole or slit, and tie in a bow to close.
Resources: Avery; pale-gold, taupe, and silver 24-millimeter silk double-face satin ribbon (No. 02324), M&J Trimming; 14-ounce cotton canvas in linen, B&J Fabrics, 212-354-8150; screw punch, by Martha Stewart Crafts, from Michaels.