Rub on lotion, and skin feels instantly silky; a regular moisturizing routine helps it stay that way. Apply moisturizer daily right after a bath or shower, when skin is still damp, says NewYork City dermatologist Laurie Polis, M.D.
Body oils, balms, and butters are best for very dry skin; they are high in plant fats, which keep skin hydrated longer. Thick creams, rich in oils, are ideal for dry to normal skin. Lotions have more water and therefore can evaporate quickly, so they're best for normal to oily skin types. Look for ingredients like urea and alpha hydroxyl acid, which have exfoliating properties.
1. Bath and Body Works Breathe Deep Nourishment body cream, $16.50.
2. Chanel Chance body satin, $75.
3. Purminerals Moisture Infusion, $29.50.
4. Lancome Absolute Body replenishing cream, $98.
5. The Body Shop Shea Mini body butter, $7.50.
6. Origins Cocoa Therapy Deeply Nourishing body butter, $27.50.
7. Neutrogena Original Light Sesame body oil, $9.99.
8. Benefit Cosmetics Bathina Body So Fine body balm, $28.
9. Bath and Body Works Le Couvent des Minimes Honey and Shea body balm, $39.50.
10. L'Occitane Rose Velvet body cream, $32.
11. MOR Cosmetics Dolce Marshmallow body butter, $22.
12. Trish McEvoy Blackberry and Vanilla Musk Super Enriched body cream, $48.
13. Nivea Creme, $3.33.