Bread won't go ignored at your wedding or shower if you present it with cubes of flavored butter. We used three different savory mixtures for a nice variety.
- Garlic and Sage, top
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- Pecan and Date, center
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 4 ounces finely chopped pecans
- 4 ounces finely chopped dates
- Mixed Herb, bottom
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 3 pounds softened unsalted butter, 12 sticks
For each butter, mix ingredients into 1 pound butter with rubber spatula. Press into 9-by-12 1/2-inch rimmed baking sheet; smooth top. Chill butter until hard, at least 1 hour. Just before serving, stamp out pats of butter with 1-inch square cookie cutter.
SourceMartha Stewart Weddings, Winter 2004