Sea Scallop Seviche with Watermelon and Grapefruit
- Yield: Makes about 20 hors d'oeuvres
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Winter 2003
- 2 grapefruits, peel and pith removed
- 1/2 pound fresh sea scallops, tough muscles removed
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced watermelon
Working over a bowl to catch juices, use a paring knife to slice between sections and membranes of grapefruits to separate segments; place segments in bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes into bowl. Strain; reserve juice in a bowl at room temperature. Place segments in another bowl; cover with plastic, and refrigerate.
Slice each scallop into three rounds; place in a large nonreactive bowl. Add reserved grapefruit juice, lime juice, and salt; toss well. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes. Drain, discarding liquid. Refrigerate scallops until ready to use.