Pate a Cigarette Batter (Chocolate Piping Batter)
Use this recipe for our Individual Chocolate-Espresso Charlottes.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Photography: Anita Calero
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Fall 2007
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
Process butter and confectioners' sugar in a food processor until fluffy. While machine is running, gradually add egg whites and vanilla, and scrape down sides of bowl. Add flour, and process until combined.
Transfer to a bowl, and stir in cocoa powder with a rubber spatula. For piping, transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/16-inch plain round tip (such as Ateco #2).