Trio of Savory Madeleines
Savory madeleines can be flavored with many varieties of herbs, seasonings, and cheeses. Some options are Gruyere cheese, fresh rosemary, and cayenne pepper.
- Yield: Makes 220 mini madeleines
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2008
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted olives
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
Preheat oven to 350. Butter mini madeleine pans.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in eggs, milk, and browned butter until smooth. Divide batter among 3 bowls. To create 3 different flavors, fold 1 filling into each bowl of batter (sage, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes). Divide batter among pans, filling cups 3/4 full.
Bake until golden brown and firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately unmold, and let cool completely on wire racks.