Massachusetts Corn Muffins
A hint of honey enhances the flavor of the corn without overwhelming it.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1 dozen
Photography: Marcus Nillson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2010
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup sunflower or safflower oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons mild honey, such as acacia or orange blossom
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Combine oil, butter, and honey; stir in eggs and milk. Stir oil mixture into cornmeal mixture. Divide batter evenly among baking cups.
Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.