In this version of pan tomate, Serrano ham and sun-dried tomato butter create a Spanish-inspired union of savory flavors.
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
Photography: Sang An
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2002
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground pepper
- 24 slices white bread
- 1 garlic clove, lightly smashed
- 6 ounces Serrano ham, thinly sliced
- 5 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs oregano, leaves pulled from stems
Preheat grill or broiler. In a small bowl, stir together butter, tomato paste, sherry vinegar, and salt; season with pepper. Set aside.
Place bread on grill or under broiler until lightly toasted on both sides. Transfer to a wire rack; rub top of each slice with garlic, and let cool.
Using a small offset spatula, spread 1 teaspoon tomato butter on each bread slice; top with a ham slice. Using a 2-inch square cookie cutter or serrated knife, cut out squares. Spread a dab of tomato butter on ham; garnish with sun-dried tomato and oregano. Serve immediately.