Shower Tea Sandwiches
The cream-cheese spreads are used as the the base for each of the sandwiches.
- 3 one-pound loaves white sandwich bread, preferably unsliced
- Wasabi, Salmon, and Lemon Cream Cheeses
- Tea-Poached Chicken
- 1 large seedless cucumber (14 ounces), very thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked salmon
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh salmon roe
- 1 ounce black (or other color) caviar, optional
- 3 to 4 ounces baby leaf lettuce, such as mâche, mizuma, shiso leaves, and sprouts
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 bunch fresh chives
- 2 to 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 to 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
Trim crusts. Slice bread into 1/2-inchthick pieces; each loaf should yield ten to twelve slices. Spread each slice with cream-cheese spread. Arrange ingredients on bread in decorative patterns. Sandwiches look best with chicken, cucumbers, and salmon arranged along edges of bread, overlapping slightly. Trim edges in straight lines, cutting through both bread and ingredients to leave clean edges on all sides (for ideas, see photos page 106). Make salmon sandwiches first, reserving trimmings for salmon cream cheese to use on other sandwiches. Tuck small green leaves in between layers. Keep sandwiches covered with damp cloth until serving. Refrigerate if not serving right away. Sandwiches are best eaten within 2 to 3 hours.