Court-boullion is a traditional poaching broth for fish. Use this to make our Boiled Lobster Tails.
- Yield: Makes 6 quarts
Source: Christmas Cookbook 2003
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry white wine
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds, washed well and drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 lemon, washed and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
Fill a large stockpot with 7 quarts of water. Make a bouquet garni: Place the herbs, spices, and bay leaves on a square of cheesecloth; tie into a bundle with kitchen twine. Add to pot. Stir in wine, leek, carrots, lemon, and salt.
Cover, and bring mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat. Uncover; gently simmer 30 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Let cool completely.