Just try to resist this delightful cake -- especially when it's enhanced by a zesty lemon curd filling.
- Yield: Makes 7 cups batter
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest (from about 3 lemons)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter cake pans, dust with flour, tap out excess. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
Cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest with a mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk and lemon juice.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake cakes until golden brown and testers inserted in centers come out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Immediately run a knife around edges of pans to loosen cakes; invert cakes. Let cool.