Mulled Cranberry Cider
Greet guests arriving for a chilly-weather wedding with a warm cocktail, like this spiced cranberry drink fortified with port. A cinnamon stick is a flavorful stirrer.
- 9 1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 6 cinnamon sticks, plus 12 more for garnish
- 8 star anise
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 3 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced (about 18 slices)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- One 375-milliliter bottle port
- 12 thinly sliced kumquat rounds, 6 to 8 kumquats for garnish optional
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except port and kumquats. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Cover, and let steep until ready to serve, up to 1 day.
Just before serving, add port to mixture in saucepan, and bring to a simmer; do not boil. Keep warm over low heat while serving. Strain and divide among glasses, and garnish each with a cinnamon stick and kumquat slice, if desired.
SourceMartha Stewart Weddings, Winter 2003