Chocolate Cakes: Chocolate Petal Cake
Hidden beneath a gentle flurry of bittersweet chocolate curls are three tiers of mocha spice cake made tender with sour cream. The cake gets a lift from coffee, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove; each layer is brushed with ginger-infused syrup before it is frosted with chocolate buttercream.
- Servings: 105
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Fall 2001
- 1 each 6-, 10-, and 14-inch-diameter round contoured layers of Mocha Spice Cake, each 3 inches high, set on corresponding-size 3/16-inch-thick foam board
- 1 recipe Ginger-Infused Simple Syrup
- 2 recipes Chocolate Buttercream
- 16 4-inch-long 1/4-inch-diameter wooden dowels
- 1 20-inch-round cake board, 2 inches high
- 6 feet of 2-inch-wide ribbon
- 6 feet of 1/4-inch-wide ribbon
- Chocolate Petals
- Sugared pansies and johnny jump-ups
- Filling amounts for chocolate buttercream: 6-inch tier, 1 cup between each split layer; 10-inch tier, 1 3/4 cups between each split layer; 14-inch tier, 3 1/2 cups between each split layer.
- Icing amounts for chocolate buttercream: 6-inch tier, 2 cups; 10-inch tier, 4 cups; 14-inch tier, 5 1/2 cups.
- Approximate amounts for ginger-infused simple syrup: 6-inch tier, 1/4 cup; 10-inch tier, 1/3 cup; 14-inch tier, 3/4 cup.
Split each layer of mocha spice cake into thirds. Brush with the ginger-infused simple syrup (amounts above). Fill each layer with chocolate buttercream so tier is 4 inches high (filling amounts above). Thinly coat reassembled layers with buttercream, and allow to set. When set, frost with buttercream. Refrigerate tiers until ready to stack.
Remove 14-inch tier from refrigerator, and place on 20-inch board. Spread board with buttercream; clean edges. Hot glue wide ribbon to sides of cake board; glue narrow ribbon on wide one.
In the center of the 14-inch tier, place 6 dowels in a circle 2 inches from the edge. Place 4 dowels in a square within the circle. Place the 10-inch tier, centered, on top. In the center of the 10-inch tier, place the remaining 6 dowels in a circle 2 1/2 inches from the edge. Place the 6-inch tier, centered, on top.
Fit a 12-inch pastry bag with a coupler and Ateco number 5 round tip; fill with buttercream. Attach chocolate petals to cake and cake board by piping a small amount of buttercream on the back of each petal.
Decorate with sugared pansies and johnny-jump-ups.